The biggest KCBS sanctioned event east of the Mississippi, Pork in the Park, takes place in Salisbury, MD next weekend – April 16-18, 2010
This year Pork in the Park is bigger than ever with 137 teams competing!
That… is… huge!
Last year, more than 90 competitors from ten states vied for trophies, bragging rights and $18,000 in prizes, making the Pork in the Park Barbeque Festival in Salisbury Maryland one of the nation’s ten largest barbeque festivals sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society. In 2009, we were crowned the Largest KCBS Festival East of the Mississippi!
We’re really excited to be able to attend all three days – and we’ll be there to get some pics, some BBQ sauce and hot sauce stories.
Also, we’re hoping to interview some teams and vendors for soundbites and stories for our HotSauceWeekly podcast!
A Few Teams of Note:
Last year’s Grand Champion, Hawg Eyes BBQ, will be returning to defend their title.
We know a few of the teams personally, some from online contacts, and others that we definitely want to meet.
- HucksHut.com BBQ Team – Huck, JR and Huck, SR produce the excellent BBQ Podcast, InTheHut
- Who Are Those Guys – from Bel Air, MD, we met George and his team last year
- Pork Barrel BBQ – Heath and Brett from Alexandria VA are about to open a new restaurant
- Deguello BBQ and VA BBQ Pirates – two other teams from VA that we are looking forward to meeting!
- Cool Smoke – Tuffy Stone – Star of BBQ Pitmasters Show
- Wood Chicks – Lee Ann Whippen – Star of BBQ Pitmasters Show
7th Annual Pork in the Park BBQ Festival
April 16-18, 2010 Winterplace Park in Salisbury, Maryland
$2 Admission: Kids under 12 Free!
Friday 4pm – 10pm
Saturday 10am -10pm
Sunday 11am – 5pm
If you are a BBQ Team competing, or a vendor and would like us to come by for a short interview, please leave us a comment below.
Good luck to all of the Teams!
Update: Feb 2011
The smell of BBQ returns to the air at the Pork in the Park Festival in Salisbury, Maryland on April 15-17, 2011.