This easy recipe for chicken enchiladas features green chile sauce. Purchase a small roasted chicken from your local grocer’s deli department. They did the cooking and hard work, you simply cut it up and shred it for the enchiladas.
Easy Chicken Enchiladas
We’ve made these Chicken Enchiladas quite a few times, but always with a red enchilada sauce. This time we’re going all green. The recipe is super easy and the steps are simple – and maybe, just maybe, by going “green” we’re helping save the planet. (Okay, not really). Read on for the amazingly simple recipe we use for these delicious chicken enchiladas – red or green!
The full recipe is at the end of this post.
You can use any green enchilada sauce you wish, and the canned fire-roasted chiles can also be your favorite. We like the Hatch Brand products. Next up, you will need a small roasted chicken from your local deli. Easy peasy and a great time saver!
Make the chicken mixture
Take that deli roasted chicken and break it down and chop it up.
Place it in a skillet, add about 1/4 cup of sauce and the green chiles – heat over medium-low heat to warm the mixture.
Next you will will spoon the chicken mixture onto the corn torillas along with your favorite “Mexican” style cheese. We used a bag of “Four Cheese Mexican” from the dairy case.
Roll tortilla tightly and place in baking dish (dish lined with a few spoonfuls of enchilada sauce).
Your rolled up corn tortillas will begin to look like this in the baking dish.
After filling baking dish with all tortillas, you’ll add more sauce and cheese.
Now, more cheese. Yea, more cheese.
After they bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees, they’ll look like this.
The finished Green Chile Chicken Enchilada dish.
You will need:
- One small deli roasted whole chicken – cut up and shredded
- One can green or red enchilada sauce (we used Hatch brand)
- One can roasted green chiles (we used Hatch brand “hot”)
- Package of corn tortillas – large 7-8″
- Shredded cheese – we like Four Cheese Mexican style
- Glass baking dish
- Cut up roasted chicken, and shred.
- Warm up shredded chicken in skillet with the green chiles and 1/4 cup enchilada sauce.
- Place tortillas on plate, cover with wet paper towel, heat in microwave for 30 seconds to soften.
- Spoon enough enchilada sauce into bottom of baking dish to cover (about 4 tbls).
- Onto each warmed tortilla, sprinkle on some of the cheese, spoon about 3-4 tbls. warmed chicken mixture, roll tightly, placing seam side down into baking dish.
- Top with remaining enchilada sauce and shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350º for about 20 minutes, rotating dish half-way through.
- Add more cheese (and sauce if desired), return to oven and broil for 5 minutes until browned.
- Serve with sour cream and shredded lettuce, and rice and beans if you desire.
Do you have a favorite Chicken Enchilada recipe? Please share it with us in the Comments below. I’d love to know how to kick this up another notch!