The Delaware State Chicken Wing Championship took place this past weekend in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware (10/26/2013). Marilyn and I were fortunate to be judges.
In the short video below (1:28), I’m basically panning around the area of the judges table and including some of the competitors. The huge crowds you see in the background are coming from the Annual Sea Witch Festival – a parade of sillyness that is somehow related to Halloween. 🙂
The Delaware State Chicken Wing Championship 2013
There were 17 different restaurants and hot sauce makers competing for best wings in the Delaware State Chicken Wing Championship. Each competed in up to 3 categories, although most bowed out of the final Best Presentation entry.
Marilyn and I sat among 12 other judges at a long table, that was smack dab in the middle of a main pedestrian path from the Avenue (Rehoboth Beach’s main drag) to the Boardwalk. To say it was crowded and hectic is an understatement.
The fourteen judges were given a verbal presentation from the entrant, wings were passed out, and our judging and scoring began. We awarded up to 30 points total for each entry. Based on the timing of submissions and number of contestants, we did not have a lot of time between each entry. Scribbling notes, tasting, and keeping up with the fast pace of the wings that were coming at us, we did the best we could to keep up.
It was frenetic fun, and the immense variety of wings we got to sample was amazing. Some of our favorites, off the top of my head, were, loaded potato skin wings, jalapeño popper stuffed wings, black cherry soda wings, parmesan crusted garlic wings and Mayan Chocolate wings. I’m so sorry I don’t have pictures of those incredible concoctions! (When your hands are covered in sauces and spices, and you’re writing notes, it’s hard to get pictures).
Here is our host and MC, Chip Hearn of Peppers.com, laying out the ground rules (there were no rules) and introducing the judges (3:45). Filmed from my vantage point about midway of the judges table, that is Marilyn directly in front of me, to my right was Steve Chambers, and to my left was Eric Grant.
The bloggers were assembled at one end, the radio media at the other, and in between were various other wing aficionados.
Next up, a short video of Johnny McLaughlin of HeartbreakingDawns.com explaining his “deconstructed wings” for the Best Presentation category. Those cubes used to be wings!
Here are the Winners in each category
Huge thanks to Georgia Leonhart, publicist, for filling in the blanks of all the winners here. Thank you Georgia!
The Best Wings Presentation:
– 1st Place – Bethany Blues Restaurant – popsicle style wings wrapped in bacon and topped with smoked jalapeños
– 2nd Place – Peppers.com for the “dragon” wings presentation – created by Chef Jared Martin
– 3rd Place – Heartbreaking Dawns’ Johnny McLaughlin for his deconstructed wing “cubes” with coconut garnish and sriracha style sauce
– 4th – The Starboard Restaurant, Dewey Beach
– 5th – Port Restaurant, Dewey Beach
The Most Unusual Wings:
– 1st Place – Heartbreaking Dawns – Johnny McLaughlin – Mayan Chocolate wings with Blue Cheese Ice Cream
– 2nd Place – Bethany Blues, Lewes – Chef Rich Nofi – Whiskey Apple Cider Fall Spice BBQ Wings
– 3rd Place – Rehoboth Ale House – Momma T’s Pesto Pollo Wings
– 4th – High River Sauces – Steve Seabury – Mothra Wings
– 5th – Obis One – Black Garlic wings
The Best Wings:
– 1st Place – Port Restaurant, Dewey Beach, Delaware – Sweet Chili Wings with Mango Habanero
– 2nd Place – Peppers.com – Chef Jared Martin – Improv wings – BBQ, mustard, garlic
– 3rd Place – Kick n’ Chicken – Chef Scott Saucier – Tazmanian Wings –
– 4th – Rehoboth Ale House – Chef Jodi Sowersby – Garlic Butter Parmesan Wings
– 5th – Rehoboth Seafood Market – Chef Brock Hutchison – Tequila Chipotle Lime Wings
The Overall Delaware State Champion Winners are:
– 1st Place – Bethany Blues Restaurant – Bethany Beach, Delaware
– 2nd Place – Peppers.com
– 3rd Place – Heartbreaking Dawns
– 4th – Rehoboth Ale House
– 5th – Rehoboth Seafood Market
Pics from the Delaware State Chicken Wing Championship 2013
Click a pic for gallery viewing goodness…
We hope you enjoyed this post with all the media. Please let us know in the Comments below.